TODDLER TO KINDERGARTEN PROGRAM
Kids Connection Care And Education offers a developmental program with a
nurturing and safe environment for children. The program focus is on the
individual needs of the children as well as the group needs. Overall, the
program reflects a philosophy of positive self-esteem, health, independence and
a spirit of sharing, within an environment, which is sensitive to the
multicultural needs of the community.
Programming is done on a daily basis, based on the needs and interests of the
children. We use The Humanic Developmental Assessment Tool in order to set goals
for the children to learn and master through activities and learning
opportunities provided for them. This is done in various learning areas.
Hannah is painting her sculpture
THE CREATIVE ARTS CENTRE
- Encourages children's exploration through different mediums
- Develops fine motor skills
- Develops visual perception
- Develops eye /hand co-ordination
- Clarifies children's understanding of the physical and social world
- Encourages organization, gives manipulative satisfaction
- Provides awareness of texture and colour.
Preschool children drawing still life
Exploring shadows with a projector
Preschool & Kindergarten
THE SCIENCE & DISCOVERY CENTRE
- Exploration of the natural and physical world
- Creative thinking becoming sensitive to problems, deficiencies,
- Problem solving - identifying, questioning, range of possibilities for
answers, gathering information, finding various solutions, implementing
solutions, evaluating outcomes.
Measuring cornmeal using a variety of utensils
QUIET THINKING CENTRE - LOGICAL CONCEPTS
- Learning classification, or how to sort and group objects according to some
- Learning seriation, which helps children focus on the relationships among
objects as they place them in a logical order or sequence.
- Understanding quantity or number concepts, which involve rational counting or
correctly attaching a numerical name to each item in a group.
- Acquiring temporal concepts, or the sense of time as a continuum that
includes the past, present and future.
- Understanding spatial concepts, or how objects and people occupy space and
relate to one another in space.
- Recognizing conservation, or that objects remain the same even if they look
different, through manipulating concrete objects in numerous learning
Zachary at the Writing Centre
QUIET THINKING CENTRE - LANGUAGE LITERACY, EMERGENT LITERACY
Promotes literacy skills through:
- Books and puzzles, table top materials-letters, words that promote visual-perceptual abilities.
- Table top construction toys like Lego and pegboards for spatial concepts, left to right progression, visual tracking etc.
Emily is creating a marble run
THE BLOCK CENTRE
Children's use of blocks contributes to their:
- memory and
- spatial development.
In addition block play gives children the opportunity to:
- socialize with his/her peers
- learn to share and co-operate
- build motor skills
- use his/her imagination
Christian, Zachary & Elton are co-operating and building a structure
Sitting down for a meal
DAILY LIVING CENTRE
Gives the child the opportunity to:
- develop self awareness
- understand relationships
- develop language skills
- enjoy the world of fantasy
- explore and manipulate adult tools and materials
- relive past experiences
Emily is matching shapes on “Dally Doo” on the computer
THE TECHNOLOGY CENTRE
- open and extend children's thinking.
- enhance cognitive development.
- address visual, auditory and kinetic abilities.
- promote awareness of cause and effect.
- encourage children to explore relationships and associations between objects
Creating a beat with musical instruments
MUSIC & MOVEMENT
- Various body movements
Thomas performing on the drums!